Friday, July 3, 2009

Franklin Corner Deli - Greenpoint

I am pretty far behind on posts right now - I have photo sets from 9 restaurants that have yet to be posted - so in the meantime here's another singular and exquisite sandwich:

The "Chicago" from Franklin Corner Deli in Greenpoint (Franklin and Huron)

Before I get to the pictures, I am just going to list the ingredients, as the photos are a little underwhelming without knowing what this hot-pressed, crusty parcel of magic entails:

-turkey
-lettuce
-tomato

...pretty standard, but then...

-thinly-sliced, breaded, fried eggplant
-provolone
-jalapenos
-black bean spread
-avocado (but I 86 the avocado, as the sandwich was introduced to me by M, who is semi-allergic, and it's rich enough without)

Now:

Critical Cross-Section shot:
Ask me why I love taking out-of-focus pictures of sandwiches, and I will tell you that I'm just a peculiar girl with peculiar predilections. But I will be lying, because the truth is it's totally on accident.
Fuzzy pictures aside, just trust me. This oblong of apparent banality will brighten the darkest corners of your sandwich loving soul. One bite might just taste like a really good turkey sandwich, then a little like an eggplant parm, and then later a burrito, and at times perverse and delightful combinations of the three. This is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Frankensandwich. It does take a bit longer to make than your average deli sandwich, but the proportion of added deliciousness greatly outweighs the added time.
And just like the sandwich, though the establishment that dispenses it looks completely unremarkable from without, it holds another special and strange secret within.


Doubtlessly and by far the best endorsement of a deli ever in the history of anywhere.

I've heard the other sandwiches are also exceptionally good, but I haven't been able to get away from the Chicago yet. I can't tell you what heroic genius decided to call upon this ragtag crew of humble ingredients to join forces and become this mutant, oneiric supersandwich - nor why it's mysteriously called the "Chicago" - but I like to imagine that maybe it was the dream-master, himself.

Franklin Corner
210 Franklin St (at Huron)
Brooklyn, NY 11222
(718) 389-8524

1 comment:

  1. i want both the sandwich and the picture.

    (and more tongue. ew.)

    susan, look at all these entries! y'all have a real blog now. i love it.

    ReplyDelete