Friday, July 10, 2009

Five Leaves - Greenpoint (Brunch)

Rapidly falling more behind in posts - I eat more and faster than I can blog.
I did finally get a couple halfway decent pictures, but I only tried one of these 3 dishes, so this is primarily a pretty brunch picture post.

Five Leaves (after "Swan cigarette papers that tell you when there are just five left in a package") is the sort-of-Australian-influenced, hipster-quaint restaurant bar left as a legacy by the late Heath Ledger, who was a principle backer. Their Five Leaves Burger is possibly my favorite burger in New York, and I will post about it very, very soon. But for now, here's this:


Not bad, right? Pretty and brunchy.

This is the "Big Breakkie," which consists of 2 organic eggs any style, hash brown, toast, and 2 choices of sides. K said he enjoyed it, despite the fact that his eggs came out over-hard instead of over-easy. I think I asked him what his sides were, but immediately forgot, and they are obscured by the very generously buttered toast. Whatever it was, it looked tasty. But I was preoccupied with this:


This was possibly the best this-type-of-thing I've had in the city. I'm not usually into sweet breakfast/brunch foods (I tend to favor the fatty/greasy variety), but if I'm in the mood, I usually go for a fruit/yogurt/granola type thing. The fruit was all very fresh, and the yogurt was creamy and thick without being too heavy. I asked the waiter what kind of yogurt they used, and he simply said, "Greek." Thanks? This yogurt tasted a bit lighter and less tart than the Fage I usually get at the store, though maybe that's just what it was. I don't know. Maybe yogurt just always tastes better when it's served in a restaurant and costs $7.
But what really made this dish was the house made granola. I've found that there are at least two types of granola eaters (not that I generally sit around contemplating granola issues. Maybe I do). Any lovers of chocolate-coated coconut candy bars will tell you that sometimes one feels like a nut, and sometimes one does not. Same thing with granola. I, however, am invariably a member of the former category, and by that and all of my other granola criteria, this granola was awesome. An abundance of slivered almonds, pepitas, and pecans, toasted and coated liberally in honey and spices, made every bite as toothsome as a dessert, but ostensibly more healthy. And there were some oats and stuff, too.
I got a side of bacon, as well, because as I said, I do like my salt and grease in the morning. It was delicious, obvs. Smoky, salty, semi-thick cut...it's bacon. Bacon, bacon, everyone loves bacon, etc., etc., ad nauseam.
And yes, that is a pint of beer next to my fruit and yogurt parfait. Don't judge me.


M had the sage scrambled organic eggs, served with cheddar on a roll. I believe the roll is the same ciabatta-ish one that the burger is served on, which is excellent. He said it was fine, but more sage than he generally likes in the morning. Or something. I forget exactly what he said, but it intimated satisfaction tinged with indifference.

Also, that picture sucks. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.


Five Leaves
18 Bedford Ave (between Lorimer & Manhattan)
Greenpoint, Brooklyn 11222
718.383.5345

3 comments:

  1. You had me at the shot of toast slathered with butter. Very rarely is there enough butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the five leaves burger is hands down my favorite burger in ny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be travelling to NYC for a 3-day food marathon in 3 weeks- any recommendations for a weekend brunch somewhere on Manhattan? I have previously been to Mesa grill and I want to change it up

    ReplyDelete