Sunday, December 13, 2009

Cookies!

What with school and work and weather and all, I've been in a bit of an eating out rut. Meaning, I've either been eating my homework (as well as serving it to friends), or M and I have been ending up at our usual standbys because we're too wiped to think of a new place, go there, and potentially eat bad food. Thus this eating-out blog is evolving (devolving?) into a random-things-I-have-made-and/or-eaten blog.

This was a slight divergence from cooking recipes straight from class (I mean, one can only eat Poulet Rôti Grand-Mère or Aile de raie à la Grenobloise so many times, am I right). Since we already have parts of both an apple tart and a lemon tart sitting in the fridge, I decided two tarts is enough for one apartment of two people. We needed some cookies up in this @*#&.
I whipped up* some pâte sablée, and made some cute little plum butter shortbread cookies.

* i.e. slaved, sweated, and had just a handful of mini anxiety attacks over

Take that, Pepperidge Farm

More like Pooperidge Farm.

Just kidding, I have nothing against Pepperidge Farm. I've enjoyed many a Mint Milano in my day. But these. These have love, baked right in. Which as everyone knows means butter - obscene amounts of butter.
The plum butter is admittedly out of a jar - some extremely tasty Polish store-bought stuff, that usually goes on my bagels on the weekend. The cookies are delicately sweet, crumbly, and melt-in-your-mouthy.


On a cold rainy day, a warm apartment that smells of butter and sugar, plus a plate of fresh baked cookies - it's what daydreams-whilst-sitting-in-an-over-air-conditioned-office-staring-at-a-computer-screen-and-eating-a-crappy-deli-sandwich are made of.


Yes, M and I are going to be very fat.
Really very large.

More eating out posts to come! I hope! If I don't get too lazy again!

Postscript: I would include the recipe here, but 1.) I'm not sure if it belongs to the school or something, and am not entirely (at all) familiar with the intricacies of copyright laws in blogs, and 2.) it's fairly simple, but there are a lot of places to go wrong that makes it complicated and annoying to write out.
If you are inclined to make them, find a good shortbread recipe (I'd add a dash of lemon zest next time, for zing factor), cut into cute shapes (be sure to include a jam peephole), bake, and smear with jam of choice. Easy!

Postpostscript: I brought some for my friend, Carol: "MMMM! Susan, these are so good...they're like store-bought!!"
Great...thanks, Carol.

2 comments:

  1. two entries in a month? you're going to sprain your blog. (i can't tell if that's funny or not, so i guess it isn't.)

    i love your blog evolution. i'm sure your different types of entries can coexist peacefully. and those cookies look so effing delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consider them an incentive to visit. <3

    ReplyDelete